Beef is exceptionally versatile and can easily be added to any meal.
Here are some of our favourite, easy to make recipes that are sure to satisfy the whole family.
Filled beef steak or fillet
Fragrant meat rub
2. Thoroughly rub both sides of the steaks with this mixture.
3. Braai steaks on the fire or in a frying pan with some olive oil (try to avoid well done steak).
TIP: Rub a whole Sparta fillet with this mixture. Braai on the open fire or cook in a preheated oven at 230°C, 20 minutes for every 1kg of meat.
Homemade Moroccan Hamburger
2. Mix all ingredients well.
3. Roll the mixture into palm-sized burger patties.
4. Allow to cool in fridge for 1 hour.
5. Place on baking tray and grill in oven for 35-45 minutes, or until cooked.
6. Serve with fresh lettuce and tomato layered on top of a bread roll.
Freestate Flat Rib
2. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade and pour over the ribs. Allow to marinate overnight.
3. Pre-heat oven to 200°C and place the rib in a non-stick baking tray (or cover tray with foil).
4. Grill for approximately 30 minutes, turn over and grill for another 20-30 minutes. Apply marinade regularly and generously throughout the cooking process.
Mustard and Chive Marinade
2. Arrange the steaks in a glass or ceramic platter and pour the marinade mixture over the steaks.
3. Marinate for about 4 hours in the fridge, turning frequently.
4. Season steaks with salt and pepper.
5. Braai to taste on the fire, basting frequently with the marinade mixture.
2. Add the olive oil and mix well.
3. Coat the steaks in the mixture and allow to stand for at least 10 minutes.
4. Braai on the fire, adding salt and pepper to taste. For optimal results, grill the steak to ‘medium rare’ or ‘medium’.
Sparta Sirloin Steak with blue cheese and sundried tomato butter
2. Shape it into a cylinder on cling wrap, wrap tightly and refrigerate until hard.
3. Coat steak in olive oil and balsamic vinegar mix. Season well with salt and pepper. Allow to stand for at least 10 minutes.
4. Braai the steak on the fire or in a hot pan with olive oil, as desired (try to avoid well done steak).
5. Remove steak from the pan/fire.
6. Take the butter from the fridge. Cut into ±1 – 2cm slices. Place a slice on each hot steak and serve immediately.
TIP: Butter may be pre-prepared and kept in the freezer to reduce preparation time. Double the butter recipe and keep in the freezer for later use.
Sparta Gourmet Tomato Relish Burger
2. Add anchovies, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
3. Simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, simmer for another 10 – 15 minutes.
1. Heat the ciabatta rolls as per directions on the packaging.
2. Coat the steaks in olive oil and season.
3. Braai the steaks or patties on the fire or in a hot pan as desired (try to avoid well done steak).
4. Remove steak/patties from the pan/fire.
5. Layer the rocket, steak/patties and cheese on the roll. Top off with the tomato relish.
TIP: Substitute the homemade relish with any good quality tomato/peppadew chutney.
Cranberry and Camembert Steak
2. Season well with salt and pepper.
3. Let it stand for a minimum of 10 minutes.
4. Slice camembert.
5. Braai the steak on the fire or in a hot pan with olive oil, as desired (try to avoid well done steak).
6. Remove steak from the pan/fire.
7. Top off each steak with a slice of camembert and a teaspoon of cranberry jam.